Blogging Is Powerful

From one end of the planet to another, blogging reaches out and creates a virtual marketplace of ideas, powerful ideas that may someday change the world we live in today...

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

THE ACCUSED

MURDER. WHO WAS it who’d said that this heinous deed is as old as mankind? He was referring to what Cain had done to his brother, Abel. Anyhow, murder is the crime charged in the case I’m handling. I’ve handled a lot of murder cases. But this one is a cut above the rest. My client, of course, denies the charge. He was, according to him, not at the crime scene. Not in his lifetime. But how did he get involved in this? That he could not explain. I’ve had my doubts the first time I talked to him. His story just isn’t credible. It won’t stand in court. Right off, the judge (once he hears my client’s story) will surely throw it out of the courtroom for being ridiculous, outright incredible in light of the circumstances surrounding the case. But, as I'm bound by the lawyer’s oath and ethics, whether or not I doubt my client’s innocence, whether or not I believe he’s guilty, I as his advocate shouldn’t be bothered by what I believe. I'm bound to defend him at all cost, in accordance with the legal procedure, with the system of law...


[Note: Read the complete story in the book "You Filibini?" Stories and Other Writings by Amador F. Brioso, Jr., published May 2010]